Solid vegetable shortening for greasing pans
Flour for dusting pans
1 package (18.5 oz.) plain yellow cake mix
1 Can (8 oz.) crushed pineapple packed in juice, undrained
1 Cup mashed ripe bananas, 2 – 3 bananas
½ Cup water
½ Cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (if you use artificial vanilla add another ¼ teaspoon)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Cream Cheese Frosting (see below)
Preheat oven to 350*
1) Lightly grease 2- 9 inch round cake pans. Dust with flour and shake off excess. Set aside.
2) Place cake mix, pineapple in juice, mashed bananas, water, oil, eggs, vanilla and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Blend for about 30 seconds. Scrape down sides. Blend on medium for 2 minutes. Batter should look thick and the fruit well blended.
3) Divide batter between the two, floured cake pans smoothing it down with a rubber spatula.
4) Bake at 350* for 30 – 32 minutes side-by-side in oven. Center should spring back slightly with pressed.
5) Frost with cream cheese frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, at room temperature
8 tablespoons (1 stick) of real butter (not margarine), at room temperature
3 ¾ Cups confectioners’ Sugar/Powered Sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1) Place cream cheese and butter in a large mixing bowl. Blend with electric mixer on low until combined. Add confectioner’s sugar, a bit at a time, blending well. Add vanilla increasing the blender speed to medium and blend until fluffy (about a minute).
2) Use at once. Store in refrigerator.
*Alternate presentations: top with toasted pecans (preheat oven to 350* and toast for 4-5 minute – you will just begin to smell them. Don’t leave the kitchen while toasting nuts; they are easily burned. They continue to cook after being removed from the oven.)